UDC 72.032 + 7.032.7
EVGENII N. POLYAKOV, DSc, Professor,
YULIYA Е. KRYUKOVA, Research Assistant,
Tomsk State University of Architecture and Building,
2, Solyanaya Sq., 634003, Tomsk, Russia
THE CONCEPTION OF IDEAL CITY-STATE IN ARISTOTLE’S WORKS (384–322 BC)
The paper presents extractions from works of philosopher Aristotle (384–322 BC) devoted to antic town planning. Aristotle’s ideas concerning the social structure of an ideal the Hellenistic state of the new type are considered the main part in which belongs to politicians and military elite. It is shown that Aristotle developed the program of the urban development (polies), sea ports and small colonial residences resembling military camps. This program included the analysis of the climate conditions of the region, the problems of defense and functional urban zoning.
Keywords: Ancient Greece; philosophy; Aristotle; ideal city; town planning conceptions; Athens; radial-concentric planning scheme; Hippodamos of Miletus; regular planning scheme.
- Polyakov Е.N., Kriukоvа U.Е. Philosophskaia contsepcia «idealnogo» goroda-gosudarstva v trudah Platona [The conception of ideal city-state in Plato works]. Vestnik TSUAB, 2015. No. 3. Pp. 5–19. (rus)
- Aristotle. The Athenian constitution. Мoscow : Stroyizdat, 1997. 458 p. (transl. from Gr.)
- Polyakov Е.N., Zuibailo N.M. ‘Gippodamova setka’ v gradostroitelistve Drevnej Gretzii [Grid plan in town planning of Ancient Greece]. News of Higher Educational Institutions. Construction, 1999. No. 10. Pp. 99–104. (rus)
- Polyakov Е.N., Maiorova E.V., Shabolina M.A. Tvorcheskoe nasledie GippodamаМiletskogо [Creative legacy of Hippodamos of Miletus]. Vestnik TSUAB. 2008. No. 3. Pp. 5–19. (rus)
- Polyakov Е.N., Maiorova E.V., Shapovalova E.E. Razvitie printsipov reguliarnogo gradostroitelstva v ellinisticheskih gosudarstvah [Evolution of principles by regular town planning in Hellenistic states]. Vestnik TSUAB. 2008. No. 4. Pp. 5–20. (rus)
- Polyakov Е.N., Drobilbnа U.А. Deinokrat – pridvorny zodchij AlexandrаМаkedonskogo [Dinocrates is a court architect of Aleksander Makedonskii]. Vestnik TSUAB. 2007. No. 2. Pp. 5–17. (rus)
Full text | (792 Кб)