The first signes of TSUAB appeared in 1902, when the Department of Civil Engineering was founded and opened in Tomsk Technological Institute (now, Tomsk Polytechnic University).
Creation of the Civil Engineering Institute was caused by the urgent need to restore the industry and agriculture in the postwar period. The aim was to provide qualified specialists for construction projects and industrial facilities in the region and country. The main focus was put on the ability to work in harsh and extreme Siberian weather conditions with undeveloped infrastructure.
In 1952, June 5th, Tomsk State University of Architecture and Building was established as the Institute of elevator engineers.
In 1957, first 110 civil engineers and 48 water engineers graduated.
Back in the beginning of the 1960s, the University consisted of 5 faculties with 7 specializations.
1976 is the year when the Faculty of Architecture was opened due to high volume of civil and industrial buildings construction in Siberia and intense urban development of Tomsk region.
The development of building materials industry in Tomsk region caused the increased demand of production engineers. As a result, the Faculty of Technology appeared at TSUAB in 1970.
In 1993, the General Education Faculty appeared.
Later, two more faculties were opened: Forestry Engineering Faculty (1997) and Geoinformation Technology and Cadaster (2006).
With time, some changes happened and, as a result, today TSUAB has 6 faculties.
The first research directions were devoted to discovering West Siberian natural resource application, performing construction works in cold climate conditions, designing and implementing new building structures, mechanisms and construction materials.
4 times the University has changed its name:
1952: Tomsk Institute for Elevator Constructors;
1953: Tomsk Civil Engineering Institute;
1993: Tomsk State Academy for Architecture and Civil Engineering;
1997: Tomsk State University of Architecture and Building.
7 rectors throughout the university's history:
2013: Viktor A. Vlasov (till present).
Many TSUAB alumni of the technical and civil engineering specialties have become renowned scientists, builders and authors of famous scientific papers.
One of them is Nikolay Nikitin, the author and builder of Ostankino Tower, the laureate of the Lenin and the State Prize, the Honored Builder of the RSFSR. He is also famous for designing the steel frame of The Motherland Calls monument in Mamayev Kurgan.
The total number of TSUAB graduates is over 60 000.