Frequently Asked Questions


1. How to get an invitation to study in Russia?
Invitation for study is an official document that is prepared by the Department of passport and visa service of the Russian Federation Ministry of Internal Affairs. It confirms that the student has been accepted at the University. They note the passport data of the student and the full name of the university. It is necessary this document to submit to the Russian embassy to get a visa (to get stamp in  passport). In general, the preparation of an invitation to the Interior Ministry takes about 30 days. This invitation is valid for 90 days from the date of issue, and during this term student should apply to the Russian Embassy to make a visa.

2. What is the migration card?

Migration card - a document which shows that the student has crossed the Russian border legally. It is a mandatory document for further student registration and hence is an important document. Without the migration card registration on the territory of the Russian Federation can not be drawn, and the student may be deported. Migration card issued by personnel of the aircraft (trains) during the trip (trip).In addition, student can get forms of migration cards  in front of passport control at the airport, or if the student gets a different way of trip, directly at the border of the Russian Federation. The card consists of two identical parts (A and B) that must be filled. The completed migration card student need to show to the border officials, they will checks the data, put marks of  the date of crossing the border and make the relevant data into an electronic database.  Before leaving the control zone, it is important to verify that you have received your part of migration card with a note of the date of entry. It is important to keep the migration card up to the moment of exit from the Russian Federation.

3. What is registration?
Registration gives foreign students the legal right to stay on the territory of the Russian Federation for the period of registration.  Usually, the period of registration lasts for one year. Student  need to renew the registration annually for 2-3 weeks before expiration date of registartion. Upon arrival at the University student must give the required documents for registration for 3 days, including the day of arrival. Duration of registration Registration is 10-15 days. a copy of the stdunet's passort must be given in the relevant department. The registration stamp is placed on the registartion card. Also there is the address of the dormitory where the student will live. To register passport and visa it is necessary that the passport will be valid for of 2 next years. It is recommended to update your passport before traveling to Russia for the full period of study, if it is necessary.

4. How much luggage is allowed student can bring?
If there is no general restriction concering the amount of baggage that a student can bring from home, the student should know that airlines are allowed to carry only 20-25 kg free of charge. All excess weight should be paid separately.  It is recommended to take only the most necessary things, the acquisition of which, in your opinion, may not be possible in Russia. Everything else is better to buy already in place of coming. It would be better to bring warm clothing, coats, boots, hats, gloves, scarf and so on, personal hygiene items. For a trip in September-October it is recommended to take a  jacket, jeans, socks, sports shoes. In November-December, you will need to have very warm coat, sweater, warm pants, boots, hats and gloves to protect your health and not to catch a cold.

5. What additional costs are possible on arrival at Russia?

To enter tne University and to settle in the dormitory foreign students must have a health certificate, thet confirms the absence of HIV infection. Certificate of HIV infection absence are valid for 3 months. 

6. What are  the average monthly expenses of a foreign student in Russia?
Usually expenses in the first month in Russia are greater than in subsequent months.
The average expenses of the first month in Russia is about $ 500. This is due to the fact that the student must pay a registration fee and etc., buy some necessary things. In future, the average monthly expenses on food are ranging from $ 120-150 per month in low-cost regions of Russia and about $ 250-350 in Moscow, St. Petersburg and other Russian cities.

7. When the holidays begin in Russian Universities?
At the preparatory faculty curriculum is not divided into semesters, so that the winter holidays are not provided. In late January, the students who have successfully passed all the tests may have one week rest. Students who have educational debt, should try to pass their tests again. Summer holidays last 2 months, from July 1 to August 31.
As for higher education programs (6 years), the winter holidays last 2 weeks (last week of January - the first week of February). Summer holidays are the same as at the preparatory faculty - from July 1 to August 31 of each year.

8.How long an academic year is?
The academic year lasts 10 months (from September 1 till June 30)
The academic year consists of two semesters. First semester: September 1 - 25 January. Second semester: February 9 - 30 June. At the end of each semester, in January and June, students have semester exams in each subject they study, in accordance with the curriculum approved by the Ministry of Education and Science of the Russian Federation.
Between semesters there are students vacations:
In winter (2 weeks: from 25 January to 9 February), in summer (2 months from July 1 to August 30). Students can either stay in Russia or leave home for the holidays.

9. When a foreign student must leave Russia if he has an exit visa?
If a student receives an exit visa, he / she must leave Russia within fifteen days after receiving the visa. If departure is delayed,measures can be applied,for example fines, arrest, detention, deportation. The deportation decision is taken by the Special Court. In the case of foreign citizen deportation from Russia he will be banned for the next 5 years. We strongly recommend students comply with the requirements of Migration Service.

10. Is it possible for student to study and work at the same time?
Russian education is generally regarded as one of the most qualitative and fundamental in the world. Much attention is paid to the basic theoretical knowledge of students, and extensive practical skills. This allows the student to find a well-paying job and start to climb the career ladder immediately after graduation.
Russian students are required to attend all lectures, because only knowledge gained in the classroom, allow students to become effective and knowledgeable professionals.
Thus, it is possible to work only after in-class learnings or during holidays or weekends. First of all you have to get to know a new country and learn Russian. When you become a student of the third year, you can get the job, but only if you study well and visit all the required classroom training.

11. Reasons for witch a student may be expelled from the University?
• according student's own will, for example, in connection with the transfer to another university
• for medical resasons based on the certificate from the city hospital.
• for academic failure
Students can be expelled for academic failure when:
• they do not pass several exams during the session time
• they do not liquidated academic debts on time
• students received a low grade repassing the same discipline with Attestation Commission
• for violation of discipline and internal University regulations
• in case of a crime
• for non-compliance with the terms of the contract

12. Does the student has the right to resume studies in the University?
The student has the right to resume studies in the University for a few years (the exact number of years is determined by the Charter of the university), after expelling of it on according to his own will or for good and valid reason, with preservation of the foundations of education (free or paid), according to which he was studying up to the expelling in case there are vacant places in the University.

13. In what cases student may get a gap year?
• for medical reasons. It is necessary to have an appropriate medical certificate from local hospital.
Exceptional instances:
• natural disasters;
• difficult family circumstances (for example, student need to take care of a sick family member).

14. Does the student need to keep all the documents?
We advise you always to keep our documents with you. Sometimes there are some situations when you must show your passport and visa. For example, to exchange money, to buy a train ticket, to book a hotel and etc.

15. To whom should student adress if he have problems?
You can call the Department of International Education Departmnet or Preparatory Departmnet for International Students, or simply come in. Please, contact us freely!